The end of my Browser search?
Posted October 16, 2012on:
10/05/12, 8:08 AM
Okay, installed firefox. Wow, there are a lot of windows and places and options to set. Thank goodness they all
seem to be in a kind of ‘useful’ layout. (So far.)
After installing and checking through options and setting what I want; at least for now, I began to use some of the features. (Good idea, no?)
WHAT I DON’T LIKE ALREADY
- no back or forward button (had to add to toolbar along with zoom.)
- position of the home button (have moved it to the more familiar place on the left.)
WHAT HAS ME BAFFLED
- Trying to reinstall a program that is out-of-date and FF SAYS it downloaded, but even with ‘search’ I cannot locate it. Have decided to disable the plug-in. If I can’t find it, it’s obviously not going to work anyway.
WHAT I REALLY DO LIKE SO FAR
- Lets me know what plug-ins are ‘out-of-date’ So kewl! (Especially since it took me TO THE SITES, when I clicked, and explained EXACTLY what I was supposed to do to rectify the issue! I REALLY REALLY like that feature! Too many times a program will inform you of a ‘kerfuffle’ and then TELL you to fix it, but not EXPLAIN WHAT or HOW to fix.)
WHAT I WOULD GLADLY REINVENT
- so far, I can’t see what’s going to trip me up…
- I think another thing I dislike about add-ons? The description NEVER REALLY describes WHAT the app is!
A few ‘apps/extensions’ I chose to install.
- My security bar (that goes with all of the browsers)
- A clock, Simple Timer 1.12; for the ten minutes I tried Vista I really liked the ‘wall clock’ this is nothing like it, but still gives me back my seconds, which I really like!
- I added Cheevos – more because it looked interesting than any other reason. I have NO IDEA what it’s supposed to so, except it promises to teach me about various parts of my browser in a fun way. Sure it will… we shall see… (Only after looking through THOUSANDS of add-on pages, did I discover this is a GAME! it may or may not be kept… I’ll let ya know.) I’m up 65-points. I have NO IDEA what I’ve done to stimulate my point growth. Every once in a while I see some brief ‘blip’ of a banner that says something, before disappearing. I THINK they have something to do with it because I noticed one, looked at it and up to the ‘score’ and it went up by the number indicated. (5-pts). STILL DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT TAUGHT ME??? (UPDATE: I’m up to 155 points, and I STILL don’t know what it’s taught me; will disable when I remember how.)
- Film Info & reviews… ’cause it kinda promised all the reviews without having to search (Just enter movie name, choose the sites you want to return results and click ‘go’. And all the sites you chose open up in separate tabs (or whatever your setting do). It’s gonna get one shot at pleasing me. Eh, not as useful as I’d envisioned. I’d like all the reviews to pop up on ONE bill-board.
- A ‘theme’. Areos BIG. I love it! Except that it is, well, BIG. But not in an ‘out-of-scale’ way. It ‘feels’ right. I love the colour. (STILL liking the theme, going to be sad to see it gone and have to go to one of the other two.)
P*SSED OFF BY:
Peeked at my blog… a few seconds after opening it/loading Firefox: a warning bar at the top: “A few extra plug-in’s are required to display all of the media on this page.
Available OPTION: INSTALL MISSING PLUGINS… EXCUSE ME???
WHAT ARE THEY? MAYBE I DISABLED THEM FOR A REASON?
SHAKING HEAD; either I’m about to sue Firefox when I click ‘install’, or it’s going to be okay and it’s just a matter of a few tiny fragments of code that are arguing who should have control. As long as the one that agrees I should have control wins; everything will be okay. Otherwise, FF ain’t even making it past the gate.
(Adobe Flash..?? Now, would it have been so hard to have either, included a drop down peek at what the MISSING PLUG-IN was, or, placed it on the message bar in the OPTION button???) (Still wondering why I didn’t get a message telling me to update; that’s what its supposed to do by default. (Maybe it’s as confused as me with all these new browsers!))
Still unable to comment on some posts in WordPress.
In conclusion, for today, I am not too fond of this browser either. What is going to suck, is that I am going to have to keep ONE of them. Or give up blogging. And, as you can tell, I’m waaaaay too chatty to give up talking.
So, I begin the week. I’ll send my thoughts at the end. Hopefully one will come out a clear winner. Other than IE.
FOLLOWING UP AS I GOT REAL… BUSY, yeah, that’s it, busy…
Okay, at least the other two browsers didn’t flare up and come with warnings that what I had just installed (and handed my life over to) is a terrorist.
HUH??? (Yes, I anticipated your confusion.)
One day after deciding Firefox could have the same chance as IE and Chrome, namely to be the ‘default’ browser, Bill Mullins‘ blog, alerted me to a security issue.
Terrorist number one, take your seat please…
Just after I installed it as the ‘default browser’, OF COURSE.
“Yippee”, thought I… “5-seconds in and I’m already vulnerable.” Thanks Mr. Mullins…I think…
I read what I could find…not many were talking; (& when they did it was WAY over MY head!)
I chose to do nothing. Firefox was advising…nothing. I checked and rechecked the settings and I STILL don’t know what I’ve got. (I’m sure it’s a cold, not a virus…)
Okay, back to the choice…
I’m actually believing I will try this Opera one… but in the interim, I shall vacillate between IE and Chrome. I do want to be able to see the postings in the reader, so I shall keep Chrome, not as default though, I don’t like the apparent security issues. I shall replace IE to its place as head honcho. Default browser. Firefox failed to impress me. It did have bells and whistles, and they were kinda kewl, but I need a solid foundation and I still believe IE has that. Just, apparently not for everything… So, Firefox will be relegated to the delete box… Until something else I do requires its unique ‘whatever’ to work.
Unscientific? ABSOLUTELY! Does it matter? Not to me. Who benefits? Me. Conclusion: I win!
- Praise Those Helpers in the Help Forum!!! (khrystleraineduste.wordpress.com)
- How’s Chrome workin’ out? (khrystleraineduste.wordpress.com)