Praise Those Helpers in the Help Forum!!!
Posted September 28, 2012on:
THEY’VE BEEN OUT FOR A WHILE, WHAT ABOUT THOSE OF US WHO’VE NEVER USED THEM…
THE THINGS WE DO FOR LOVE…
Ordinary things or hum-drum days can be the best for finding things to laugh about.
Take, for instance, yesterday. Nothing special, nothing pressing. So what do I decide to do? Hmmm… yeah, not that!
I decided to see WHY I was unable to access my blog (for the fourth or fifth month in a row.) I actually decided to try it the day before (?) by posting a HELP I’M DROWNING message in the Help Forum. I had a wonderful lady (I think, the picture looked feminine, please forgive me if I am as blind as my doctor keeps insisting I am!) whose online presence is TimeThief.
Now, I will admit to some skepticism here. I mean, TimeThief? You gotta wonder if what you’re being fed is just to waste your time. However, I enjoy clever names and assumed the name was chosen for the amount of time the computer steals from her, not what she steals from me… I could be wrong…
Anyway, after navigating the fiery dragons, ogres and minions who are intent on keeping me from enjoying WordPress, I found myself staring at the Help message I’d left, with TimeThief’s lengthy, but inclusive suggestions for ‘unlocking’ my experience. (IE: Getting my reader so I could read; getting my blog unclogged so I could blog and simply letting me back in to enjoy the playground.)
Unfortunately, I had, in the previous months, tried all of her suggestions at one time or other. Talk about frustrating. The next poster, Macmanx, begged me to re-try the other browsers out there. (Also one of TimeThief’s suggestions.)
Okay, fine. It didn’t work before, but, I am truly BAFFLED. (I mean, if a glitch is going to rear it’s ugly head; why do it mid-sentence, so to speak?)
So, yesterday I spent the better part of the day seeking and searching and reading reviews about various browsers. (A job that would have been made so much simpler if I could have search WordPress’s database of blogs, but I digress, again…)
There are WAY more browsers out there than I imagined! Even some that, while I had HEARD of their name, I had no idea THAT’S what it was! (In fact, if the reader promises not to roll their eyes; hey! I saw that! I will admit to having to re-open the e-mail to check what it was the engines were known, collectively, as. (Browsers.) Okay, you can roll your eyes if you must.)
After perusing several, I decided that IF the top three weren’t going to do it for me, then it just wasn’t going to happen. (I don’t recall which one I tried in the past so it’s anyone’s guess… No prizes; just guess…)
I.E.. <don’t know, but when I searched, saw an attention-grabbing note from CNET download.com, that IE8 is only for XP now… interesting.>
- Or, the link sent from MacManx, Browse Happy, which contains these and Opera.
Okay, I already have IE so I headed out to capture those elusive other two. Both are free. (Actually, I laughed so hard I had to go pee when I saw them comparing prices. NONE of them cost a penny. I began to have my doubts…)
Firefox downloaded and politely asked if I wanted to ‘Run’ or ‘Download’. I chose download. I am not the brightest person and for some reason, things don’t work the first time and it’s best if I have the tools on hand to re-start. (You’ll see I was right in a few minutes…)
It downloaded in less than 2-minutes. Woo-hoo.
Okay, now Chrome.
Click download, go to service agreement, (read agreement; yes, I read Firefox’s as well, but they didn’t make it a condition of downloading the product.) Click ‘start download’ in neat little box in corner. (Did I say little? I mean the one that took up half the page. No missing what you were supposed to do here!)
Waited; and waited; and waited; and waited; and waited. (Okay. Honestly? I made a coffee, returned a phone call; went to the bathroom, forgot what I went there for… LOL, ok, sorry…)
Finally, I shut down window, re-opened and re-started the download. Yep, worked, but still had to accept the agreement (which worries me, it is supposed to pick up right where it leaves off if a download gets interrupted); gee, I hope the agreement didn’t change in the few seconds it took me to re-start the download…
Chrome was far less polite than Firefox. It barged it’s way in and began filing grievances with all the components of my computer. It DID ask me if I liked the location it chose to call home. Looked like a good neighbourhood, so I agreed. It sent in contractors and builders so quickly, if I had changed my mind it would have been way too late. (I hoped they pulled their permits…)
Even still it took forever to install. (Okay, forever, for the purposes of comparison took approximately 5-minutes.) AND it placed an icon on my desktop without asking.
No, no, no. Very childish gesture; it’s like AVG’s taking over the default search engine. Really? C’mon now folks; those kind of pranks should be beneath you by now.
So, AFTER deleting the desk icon, I searched for Firefox. The little minx had hidden itself in the wrong darn folder. Can’t blame it though, darn! T’was my own fault. Drat’s! (See, keeping copies of stuff for a reason!)
I then installed Firefox. Very seamless. It asks a few questions; like where do you want me to go? AND Do you want the whole enchilada or just your choices? Very polite. I did something right, cause it installed.
Now, which one am I going to test first?
Well, if you’d been following my… hmmm, where did I write that anyway? Okay, so you could be forgiven for not following me; ever since WordPress let me down, I’ve been rather a loose cannon.
So, I’ll end the suspense. I am going to preview and use Chrome first.
For the next week I will curse my way around the web and see where I wind up. I must admit though, I’m already leaning towards IE. So shoot me.
What I like about Chrome.
- Day one: So far, the ‘delete browsing history since the beginning of time’ feature is nice. (See note in ‘What’s Broke’.)
What I’m not fond of, but it’s a design feature, so really, that’s taste, not functionality; still important, but not critical.
- The slide and HUGE button-like configuration on the, I think, history profile? Maybe something else, but whatever; I do not like. Personal choice, I get it.
- The address bar and search bar are one and the same. UGH!!!
- Finding the ‘delete browsing history since the beginning of time’ feature. Would be convenient if it were located on the browser ‘bar’.
- The fact that the delete all does NOT delete Chrome’s choice of favourites. I am stuck with them. I will NEVER use them (again) I did view them, had to know what they were, after all. But now I just want them GONE.
- The ‘incognito’ button. Excuse me? It hides me, but not from the site? How is that hiding me?
- Having to download ‘apps’ for everything and not having certified ‘safe’ and ‘functional’ apps? Not kewl. I really don’t trust those things. I mean, c’mon, if I can make one? Do you trust me? (I mean, I wouldn’t INTENTIONALLY create a virus, but I wouldn’t put it past me to UNintentionally create one.)
- The size of the search bar. You know; the place you enter the address you wish to go to. It’s like the length of the Wall of China, for cryin’ out loud!
What I despise and am willing to purchase a Jericho or a Smith & Wesson to force the developers to remove/add if they wish me to consider keeping this browser.
- Add a zoom button.
- Delete all even delete’s what the developers consider crucial to my life. If I don’t want it. Delete it, thank you.
- So, if you are interested, I will report back in a week and let you know what I think of this browser. (I might do it sooner if anything spectacular occurs!) Unless I get locked out. Again.
AND TO GIVE CREDIT FOR MY TRIUMPHANT RETURN:
PS: It worked! Thank you TIMETHIEF for taking the time to respond AND to push for staff assistance! I am in your debt! And thank you MACMANX ever so much for INSISTING I try the browsers again! I am humbled and in your debt as well.
Bless you both!
NOW, if this will work correctly, ’cause the pictures wouldn’t (Why do they insist on going where THEY want instead of where I place them? I mean really, Firefox next to IE??? what’s the point???) I will TRY and place a few of the suggested articles that WordPress feels are related to this topic… I hope they’re right. For YOUR sake…
- Stupid Geek Tricks: How To Download Firefox On a New Computer Without Using Internet Explorer (howtogeek.com)
- Web browser showdown: Which Windows app is really the best? (pcworld.com)
- Study finds Internet Explorer to be malware blocking king (ghacks.net)
- Monitor Browsing History Of All 4 Web Browsers in One Software for Windows 8 (madrasgeek.com)
1 Response to "Praise Those Helpers in the Help Forum!!!"
Comments are closed.